U.S. Embassy Warns Passport Bros About Dating Apps in Colombia After Suspicious Deaths
Hey there, digital nomads, passport bros, and single gentlemen! Colombia is an incredible country with a lot to offer, and that includes, of course, the opportunity to meet someone special. But before you start swiping right with reckless abandon, it's important to be aware of the potential risks associated with online dating in Colombia, especially for foreigners.
Recently, the US Embassy in Bogota issued a security alert highlighting eight suspicious deaths of US citizens in Medellin that may be linked to online dating. While the exact details are still under investigation, the Embassy warns that criminals are using dating apps to target foreigners, luring them to meet in public places and then robbing or assaulting them.
This doesn't mean you should write off online dating in Colombia altogether. With a little caution and some common sense, you can minimize the risks and have a safe and enjoyable experience. Here are some key tips to keep in mind:
- Use screening tools. Most dating apps have built-in features like photo verification and background checks that can help you weed out potential scammers. Also, tools like ChicaCheck can provide additional insight that could potentially save your life. Don't be afraid to use them!
- Meet in public places. Avoid meeting someone for the first time in a secluded or private location. Choose a well-lit, populated area like a cafe or restaurant. Let a friend or family member know where you're going and when you expect to be back.
- Be wary of gifts or promises. If someone you meet online showers you with gifts or promises of wealth and adventure, it's probably too good to be true. Be cautious of anyone who asks for money or financial assistance.
- Trust your gut. If something feels off about someone you're talking to, don't ignore it. End the conversation and block them from your profile. It's better to be safe than sorry.
- Don't resist robbery attempts. If you find yourself in a situation where you're being robbed, don't resist. Hand over your valuables and get to safety. Your life is worth more than any material possession.
Remember, online dating is all about making connections. But in a foreign country, it's important to prioritize your safety. By following these tips and using your common sense, you can minimize the risks and have a positive and enriching experience dating in Colombia.
For more information or if you have any concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us. We're here to help you make the most of your time in Colombia, both online and offline.
In addition to the tips above, here are three bonus tips for meeting people in-person for the first time in a foreign country:
- Learn some basic Spanish. Even a few phrases can go a long way in breaking the ice and making a good impression.
- Dress casually. Colombians have a relaxed and laid-back style. Avoid dressing too formally or expensively.
- Be patient. It takes time to build relationships. Don't get discouraged if you don't meet your soulmate right away.
Stay safe, have fun, and enjoy your time in Colombia!
P.S. Don't forget to check out the US Embassy's security alert for more detailed information: https://co.usembassy.gov/security-alert-risks-of-using-online-dating-applications/
Interested in dating Colombian chicas with confidence? Create a ChicaCheck account today. Don’t worry, it’s free.